So last week on Monday I had to go to an appointment with my neuro, my original dr who found my spinal problem and referred me to Columbia University. I've applied for disability but it had been too long since I've seen him and I had to go. No big deal I thought. I've had a few things I really wanted to see him about anyway but was putting it off since I can't do any surgery to correct the problem.
The things that have been going on are not really all new. My back still hurts my knees are still not they way they should be, walking down stairs still feels so strange and awkward. But the new things, my legs going numb when raised ( if I put my leg up to shave in the shower) or when I sit in the car has become worse, and my arms constantly go numb and tingly. I will wake up during the night with both of them 'asleep'. I usually just have to shake it off or change positions but it will happen through out the day as well and obviously isn't right.
Well I first explained everything, going to Columbia, my platelets, cirrhosis, my surgeries and being unable to have anymore surgeries.
He did some tests, had me squeeze his hands, lift my legs as he pushed them down, I did ok I guess. Checked my reflexes, very little in my right leg. Absolutely none in my left. He told me the things I'm experiencing are to be expected as progression happens but that it usually is slow. He also confirmed there is nothing I can do besides surgery, so there is nothing I can do. He then told me he wants me on disability, I said how I already applied and he told me he would send my records in. He then asked about kids and if I planned on that because that's not a great idea/ not safe with my spine and that I need to talk to my gyno about it. Also that sooner is better. Not a conversation I'm looking forward too. I'm really hoping she has a different view. I don't even know when I will really look into that. All that I'll probably be keeping private and not go into any more discussion over until I really come to the time I need to figure it all out and talk to people about it.
Overall I was glad he supported the disability decision. It isn't necessarily a good feeling though, I'm pretty sure no one wants to be on disability.
Everything else has been ok. Nothing too eventful. The weather is getting nice which is good.
Oh I have my interview with disability next Monday. Maybe next update I'll have some good news.
No comments:
Post a Comment